PM's Council on Climate Change
Constituted on 6th June 2008, a committee chaired by the Prime Minister called Prime Minister's Council on Climate Change will coordinate national action for assessment, adaptation and mitigation of climate change.
The composition of the Prime Minister's Council on Climate Change is as follows.
Chairperson 1) Prime Minister
Members 2) External Affairs Minister
3) Finance Minister
4) Minister of Environment and Forests
5) Minister of Agriculture
6) Minister of Water Resources
7) Minister of Science and Technology
8) Minister of New and Renewable Energy
9) Deputy Chairman, Planning Commission
10) National Security Advisor
11) Dr. C. Rangarajan, Chairman, Economic Advisory
12) Shri Ratan Tata, Chairman, Investment Commission
13) Shri V. Krishnamurthy, Chairman, National
Manufacturing Competitive Council
14) Dr. R. Chidambaram, Principal Scientific Advisor to PM
15) Dr. R K Pachauri, Chairperson, TERI
16) Dr. Prodipto Ghosh
17) Dr. Nitin Desai
18) Dr. Sunita Narain
19) Shri Chandrashekhar Dasgupta
20) Mr. Ajay Mathur, Chairman, Bureau of Energy
21) Dr. Jyoti Parekh, Director, IRADe
22) Mr. Raj Chengappa
23) Dr. R Ramachandran
24) Foreign Secretary
25) Secretary, M/O Environment and Forests
26) Principal Secretary to PM – Convenor.
The Chairman may invite any other Minister/ Officer/Experts to any meeting of the Committee depending upon the context of the meeting.
The Committee would focus on the following tasks:
a) Evolve a coordinated response to issues relating to climate change at the national level ;
b) Provide oversight for formulation of action plans in the area of assessment, adaptation and mitigation of climate change;
c) Periodically monitor key policy decisions.
The committee would be serviced by the Prime Minister's Office, which
may obtain assistance as required from any Ministry/ Department/
Agency of Government. Specifically, the Ministry of Environment and
Forests will assist PMO in facilitating the work of this Committee.